Mom has been coming along so well since all of her hospital/rehab trips. She is getting stronger and more independent. She tries to walk without her walker from time to time and scares me half to death every time she does this. She has been doing fairly well with her renal diet (kidney dialysis diet) considering she can't have much of anything. This has got to be the hardest diet I have ever seen. She is only allowed to take in 32 ounces of fluid per day. This includes ice, soup, and fruits and vegetables. 32 ounces? Is that insane or what?! Another thing she has to watch is her salt intake. Ok, now to the reason for this blog posting.....
Before my husband and I went out for an hour or two Thursday evening we got mom all set up to watch a movie with my 5 yr old son Josh. She had dinner already and was ready to kick back and watch a movie for a couple of hours. No problem right? Well, before we left we made sure that our son knew how to call us if there was a problem. We had him practice calling our cells and he had no problem. Our 17 yr. old had just left to go practice playing some songs for church with his friends. Josh, our 5 yr old is so smart, we knew that there would not be a problem. Mom has been left home alone many times with no problems. She is honestly capable of being home alone now. Richard and I had to drive all the way across town (45 minutes or more) and this was going to be our only night to do this. We left thinking that all was well.
We get a call about 45 minutes into our drive. It's Josh letting us know that Mammam (this is what he calls my mom) fell on her bottom and can't get up. We ask to speak with her. She tells us she can't get up but that she's ok. No blood, or bones sticking out, just a sore rump. She was sore from the fall and couldn't get herself up without it hurting too much. We call our oldest son James and he just so happened to be by the house. James and his friend go in and get her up on the couch. I ask him over the phone to tell his friend to look away so that he can examine her bottom. Poor kid, he did it anyway. There seemed to be no problems except some bruising from the fall. Here's the kicker...
We ask my mom how she fell. She said "I was laying on the couch and started thinking about that jar of pickles we have in the fridge, I thought I better get one before I get too into the movie (Evan Almighty)." She usually gets into things like that when I am not home because she knows that I won't let her have any. I did let her have one before we left though, I guess I was the blame for her craving. Then she says "I got up, and I didn't even use my walker! I just walked right over to the fridge, got me a pickle and then started back to the couch." She said "I bent over the cushion of the couch to straighten out my blanket and then I lost my balance and fell backwards!" I asked her if she ever ate the pickle and she said "Oh yeah, I figured I might as well after all that!" LOL!! After we got home she says to me "I am so stupid, I could kick myself!! All this trouble over a STUPID PICKLE!!"
We called an ambulance for mom and now she is in the hospital recovering. The first set of x-rays didn't show any fractures but since she is so sore and in so much pain they are going to do some more x-rays tomorrow. She is in so much pain that she can't even walk.
Please pray for her. We really want her home for Thanksgiving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, my goodness! I hope she's ok!
Post a Comment