Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's day tomorrow! Love is in the air :) Do any of you have any big plans?
We are going to church and then relaxing afterwards. Nothing big going on over here, just being together is fine with us.
This has been a fun week for all of the kids at Josh's school. Lots of valentine projects going on.
I just love having a little one in elementary school. I love being able to make treats for Josh's first grade class, help out with the parties, read with the kids twice a week, and make valentine's.
This year Josh had to make a box or bag for all of his valentine cards that he could present to the class. His teacher wanted him to decorate it and explain why he chose to decorate it the way he did and tell if he did the project on his own or will help. How many first graders that you know could do a project like this on their own? Not many that I can think of. I'm thinking that these projects are meant for parent/child bonding. We had a great time creating our box.
Josh is really into Pokemon right now so I thought we could make a Pikachu box using a shoebox. Pikachu is one of the characters from Pokemon.

Here is the head that we found on the internet and printed out. I traced the head on a file folder, cut it out, and glued the pieces together.

I wrapped the box in bright yellow wrapping paper that I found at Party City and then I made arms using card stock and then overlaying it with the wrapping paper.

I made the feet the same way as the arms.

I cut a slit on the top of the shoebox, tucked in the paper and taped it.
I added a tail on the back .

Josh had to bring 18 valentine cards to class. I could not for the life of me find any Pokemon cards so I made some for him.
This is the front of the card. I found some blank cards at Michael's in the dollar bin. I printed out a Pokemon image on cardstock, cut them out, and glued it to the front of the card.

I stamped the inside.

This was for his teacher Ms. Dunn. I found this cute container at the Dollar Tree. We filled it with yummy candy, made a tag for it and added some curling ribbon.

Here is Pikachu getting ready to be filled with valentine cards.

I wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I love Valentines Day and i did the 14 days of love to my kids and they loved it!